Archive for January 2009
Back to the main site WODs this week with any luck. Next mission is to get the pull-up bar erected in the back yard.
30 deck squats
3 x 5 pistols @ 10kg each side
1 x 30 box jumps @ 0kg
2 x 20 box jumps @ 24kg (2 x 12kg KB) / 20″ box
1 x 20 box jumps @ 32kg (2 x 16kg KB) / 20″ box
100 1/4 ROM jump squats @ 53kg BB
150 1/4 ROM jump squats @ 53kg BB
200 1/4 ROM jump squats @ 53kg BB
30 Hang squat clean @ aqua bag
20 Slam ball @ 20kg ball
15 Box jump press / jump down jerk @ 10kg ball
In 44° heat things got super humid super fast inside Jeff’s garage with four of us rotating through the work. So humid that when we stepped outside the dry 44° air felt cool… For a little while anyway.
Everything was ok until the 20kg ball slams, which hit me like a brick wall. I just could not push through them. Couldn’t catch the ball for the rebound, couldn’t keep decent form, couldn’t get a rhythm going. But the standout thing was that it’s still great fun to train with a bunch of like-minded people. Especially good to play with Jeff and Neil again.
A week off:
We’re back in Melbourne!
- In: Uncategorized
- 1 Comment
15m Overhead walking lunges @ 20kg barbell
One of those ones that sounds ok but sucks Sofa King hard if you hit it hard… Or at least it did for me today. Felt bad from the outset, fractioned at the 10th burpee and from then on just worked on the mental game. Major suckage in a still, 34°, humid as hell room but happy to have done it now that it’s over.
- Tuna w peach, nectarine, almonds 
- Burger w the lot, tried not to eat too much of the bread
- Apple, almonds
- Rump steak, chicken skewers, salad w olive oil [~4, lower on carb]
- 2 eggs, scrambled, olive oil, pear 
Well, things have been seeming to go pretty well lately. Food is good, workouts feel good, packing is going well, Claire is awesome… But I got up this morning and just wasn’t ‘on’. Napped a little on the train and found it hard to pick up much zap at work.
I was angling for some kind of a heavy squat and HSPU/press thing today but as the morning drew on it became increasingly clear that what might be a lot more helpful is to keep plugging away at the work, to recover a little today, have an early night and hit it hard again tomorrow.
Yesterday’s rowing work was really good. Hard in the head like bike intervals. Not as lactic, but more demanding on all over strength. There were a few times during that 2k that I just closed my eyes and stopped thinking about the finish.
I also chaffed my butt pretty bad. :0 That’s what you get for combining hard rowing with 40 degree heat and cotton boxers. Dude…
- 4 eggs (boiled), peach, nectarine, almonds 
- Big fat chicken schnitzel, avocado & veggie wrap, almonds [~4]
- Sardines, almonds, peach 
- Salmon w ginger, butter, lemon, shallots, sautee’d veggies and a little ham
- Cottage cheese, pear, almonds 
- In: Uncategorized
- Leave a Comment
1 Power snatch
2 Overhead squats
2 Snatch balance
1 Hang power snatch
x5 @ 25kg
x5 @ 30kg
0:58.4 / 1:04.7 / 1:03.4 / 1:00.4
Rest 5 min, then…
Snatch complex was good fun. Really good to work on the snatch balance again. Solid until the last set.
Row/Pushup intervals were hard and fast. Last two sets of push-ups fractioned, but otherwise pretty good. Focussed on keeping intensity up and ‘getting comfortable with uncomfortable’. Remember that lactate is a friend.
Rowing a 2k after intervals is hard. Hard to keep focus, hard to keep technique, hard to keep the pace steady. The metres just seem to tick off so slowly. No PRs here today but good for the mind alone.
- Kanga bangers, almonds, peach, grapes 
- Chicken, avocado & salad wrap, almonds 
- Two eggs (boiled), almonds, peach 
- Two rissoles, mini quiche, big salad [~4]
- Cottage cheese, almonds, grapes 
Just a little HSPU and hang power clean practice before lunch.
The next two weeks will likely be pretty disrupted with the move back to the city. But after that things should really begin to get fun.
5 x 10 push-ups, 15 breaths between
- Kanga bangers (2), apples (2), almonds 
- Salad, two small apricots, olive oil, kanga bangers (2)
- Apple, peach, almonds (no can opener = no protein … oops)
- Kangaroo fillet, chicken breast, stir-fry vegetable salad w olive oil [4, little extra protein]
- Cottage cheese, almonds, fruit salad [~2]